About HISTORIC GHOST WALK

The Center
(Headquarters)
516 East Main St.
Host: Arts of the Albemarle

The Lowry-Chesson building was erected in 1897 for Dr. Freshwater W. Lowry. It was first occupied on the lower level by Mitchell’s Bee Hive Department Store and the upper levels by the Academy of Music, referred to as the Opera House. The building fell into disrepair in the 1990’s and was “saved” through the efforts of ECHNA and Arts of the Albemarle. The restored Opera House (now Maguire Theater) is home to The Center Players, Encore Theatre productions and many others.

Arts of the Albemarle serves as Historic Ghost Walk Headquarters again this year. Stop in to purchase tickets, t-shirts, etc. or just to gather with friends. Also, you can pick up a complimentary bus for free transportation to any of the eight sites on Ghost Walk 2017.

The William T. Culpepper House
608 W. Main Street
Hosts: Katie & Jarrett Koch

This Queen Anne style  residence was erected in 1912 for hardware dealer William Thomas Culpepper and his wife, Alice (Butler) Culpepper. They resided here until 1935 when they erected an impressive Colonial Revival brick residence across the street at 609 W. Main St. (currently the Culpepper Inn). The Culpeppers maintained 608 West Main St. as a rental property until 1957 when the widowed Alice Culpepper sold it to Robert and Alice Thessin. Since then the house has changed hands several times.

Jack Frost Johnson and his wife Chrissie, well known residents of Elizabeth City once lived in this house now owned and occupied by their grandson and his wife.

Frances Culpepper haunts the William Thomas Culpepper house. A femme fatale of the 1600’s, she’ll tell how she managed to marry three Colonial Governors.

The Culpepper Inn
609 W. Main Street
Hosts: Holly & Mike Audette

This handsome residence was erected in 1935 for William T. Culpepper and his wife Alice. Situated on a lot that is unusually large for West Main St., the design of this house focuses on the central bay with its semi-circular porch and leaded glass entrance. This was the third house the Culpepper’s erected on West Main St. In 1909 they built a Queen Anne style home at 903 West Main St. and in 1912 a Colonial Revival house at 608 West Main St. Mr. Culpepper was the local postmaster from 1934 to 1943 and also served two terms in the state General Assembly.

Meet Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard, the fiercest pirate to sail the high seas. Find out how many wives he had and how he met a gruesome death at Ocracoke.

Culpepper Inn Tavern
609 W. Main Street
Hosts: Holly & Mike Audette

One of the city’s most impressive examples of the Colonial Revival style, this home was built in 1935 for prominent merchant William Thomas Culpepper. The house was built on the site of the Queen Anne home of Maurice & Louisa (Pappendick) Wescott.

The Tavern Room was added in 2008-2009 after several remodels of the original Carriage House (as in horse & carriage). The Carriage House Suite, often used for honeymooners was done shortly after the Tavern Room. The Tavern was upgraded in 2016.

 The Culpepper Inn’s bar becomes Betsy Tooley’s Tavern as Elizabeth “Betsy” Tooley makes an appearance there. Was Elizabeth a barmaid or an aristocratic lady? Come on in and find out

Doctor Everett Sawyer house
103 S. Ashe St.
Hosts: Paige & Keith Ensley

A rare find in Elizabeth City, this Mid-Century Modern house was built in 1958 by Ed Pugh, Jr. for Doctor L.E. (Logan Everett) Sawyer, his wife Winnifred and their three children Martha Jane, L.E., Jr. and Winnifred, or Freddie as she is called. Ed Pugh, Jr. graduated from N.C. State University in the late 30’s as a registered architect and taught at NCSU during the 40’s in the school of Architectural Engineering. In 1950 he moved back to Elizabeth City and opened an architectural firm. Mrs. Pugh worked in Dr. Sawyer’s medical practice while Ed, Jr. designed and built several other homes in Elizabeth City; however, none as striking and unusual as this Mid-Century Modern home. The home is more than 4,500 square feet inside and built on a lot greater than half an acre. The landscaping for the home was designed and completed by Godwin & Bell, an award-winning landscape architectural firm from the Raleigh area. The original architect’s rendering of the home’s landscaping is believed to be on file at NCSU in their special collections library. The current owners of the home have restored the kitchen to its original late 50’s design and character and have spent much time locating and contracting with a company which specializes in restoring Terrazzo floors; nearly unheard of in residences in this part of the state.

Meet Nathaniel Batts, known as “The First Tar Heel”. The first Englishman to settle in what is now North Carolina, find out how he recorded the first land deed in this state

St. Phillips Episcopal Chapel
McMorrine St.
Host: Christ Episcopal Church

Erected in 1893 for St. Phillips Church, a chapel outreach of Christ Episcopal Church into the black community, this building is a delightful example of the frame Carpenter Gothic style church. This board and batten example follows a distinctive type of building that was particularly popular for small congregations during the late 19th century. Of particular interest is how the battens are joined under the eaves to form a continuous band of miniature Gothic arches that echo the arches of the central door and side windows. This church was located at 512 S. Martin St. and continued as the city’s black Episcopal Christ Church until the mid 60’s when it was combined with Christ Church. For several years it served as the Albemarle Food Pantry and in the late 90’s it was moved to its current location.

Charles Griffin makes a ghostly appearance in St. Phillips Chapel. An Anglican minister, Griffin will tell how he established the first public school in North Carolina in 1705.

Museum of the Albemarle
501 South Water St.
Host: NC Museum of History

A regional history museum serving the 13 surrounding counties as the northeastern branch of the N.C. Museum of History. The Museum features regional collections, historical interpretation and instruction, and professional assistance for locals and visitors to explore and understand the past.

Meet Dr. William G. Pool, a descendant of one of the oldest and most distinguished families in the area. He’ll tell of his discovery of a mysterious portrait and why it intrigued him the rest of his life.

“Mariner’s Wharf Park
Water Street (between Main & Fearing Streets)
Host: City of Elizabeth City

In 1981, a group of concerned citizens formed the Elizabeth City Committee of 100 in order to stimulate economic development in and around Elizabeth City. One of the motivations for the formation of the Committee was to help Elizabeth City experience growth in the 1980’s and 1990’s as it had in the early 1900’s. One of the early projects of the Committee of 100 was to construct fourteen public boat docks adjacent to Pump House Park on city property in order to promote tourism, to improve the looks of our river and to increase awareness of the river for citizens and tourists alike. In May of 1982, the Army Corps of Engineers gave its approval for the boat dock project which enabled The Committee of 100 to solicit pledges and sponsorships for construction of the docks. Those sponsors are named on plaques in the ground at each boat dock and Pump House Park is now known as Mariner’s Wharf Park.

In 1585, Phillip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe were the first Englishmen to lay eyes on what is now Elizabeth City. They’ll regale you with tales of their journey to the area.

Moth Boat Park
E. Main St.-on the water

Host: City of Elizabeth City

Mention small boat racing and the name of Captain Joel Van Sant often comes up. Captain Van Sant piloted the “Siesta” from Atlantic City via the Intracoastal Waterway to Elizabeth City where he stopped over at the shipyard for overhauling and supplies for several weeks before proceeding south to Palm Beach where the yacht made her winter headquarters.

In 1929, while his yacht was laying over in Elizabeth City, Captain Van Sant began to design a boat that would reach international acclaim. His idea was to design a boat which an amateur could build from simple blueprints and construction plans---a fast sporty craft and one that would be easy to transport from coast to coast on a trailer or atop an automobile. After several days of drawing and planning, Capt. Van Sant showed a few of the workmen at the shipyard what he had in mind. Immediately, Earnest Sanders, one of the owners of the E.C. Shipyard and Capt. Harry O’Neal, one of the carpenters there, offered their services and working in their spare time, the first “Moth” was constructed. It was named the “Jumping Juniper” as it was made out of juniper wood; hence the name. The class of boat was called the “moth” for they seemed to flit rather than sail. Interest in this boat grew so quickly that by 1932 a National Moth Assoc. was formed and by 1935 it gained international status. The headquarters was in Elizabeth City and Earnest Sanders was its president from 1934 to 1941.

Though Moth Boat Championship regattas were held in Elizabeth City through the forties, the boat fell out of favor with racers but in 1989 the Museum of the Albemarle chose as a fund-raiser the revival of the Moth Boat Regatta in order to celebrate this sporty little craft that was designed locally and sailed internationally. Through the efforts of ECDI and the City of Elizabeth City, monies were obtained to create Moth Boat Park; a favorite vista for residents and visitors alike.

George Washington slept here! It’s true – the father of our country will tell about his trip to the narrows of the Pasquotank River…and his run-in with a bear in the Great Dismal Swamp.